Posted by andrea, September 13, 2011 8:00 pm
- A major disaster declaration has been declared for Broome and Tioga counties.
- Individual assistance is available, you can register for FEMA aid by calling 1-800-621-FEMA, TTY 1-800-462-7585, orwww.disasterassistance.gov.
- Have the following information when you contact FEMA: address and phone number where they can reach you, Social Security number, date of the damage, address of the property, brief description of the damages, insurance information and gross income.
- You can register even if you have flood insurance.
- Clean up and make your home safe. If it cannot be made safe, move out because FEMA provides rental assistance.
- Keep receipts from any repair work, labor and materials.
- Take pictures of damage and repairs.
- Check with your insurance company: “Everything moves faster if you know the status of your insurance,” said Mike McCormick, a FEMA spokesman.